The surprising benefit of following best practices for acquiring images, design, and fonts
Sometimes navigating copyright, contracts and licensing can be a real headache. The general population has little understanding of the nuances. And if you ask two attorneys for clarification, they might give you differing opinions. Not to mention the fact that contract language can sound like the teacher from the old Charlie Brown cartoons, wah-wah, wah.
If you have asked any of the following questions, or have them asked of you, then this user-friendly and legalese-free session on copyright, usage, and contracts is for you.
- Can you send me the layered files and fonts?
- Do you have an author photo we can use in our marketing campaign?
- Can I put that font on our network/server for others in our org to share?
- Can we use this same design for the Spanish translation?
- Why are you asking me to include a credit line with this picture?
We’ll cover the essentials for designers (or any image/font users) and talk about a few simple steps you can take now to protect your company from infringement while being fair to the creatives that you help support. After all, building relationships based on respect, clear expectations, and fair compensation can result in mutual trust and consistently high-quality work...without unpleasant surprises.